[LinuxBIOS] VGA Support on AMD DB800

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Dec 20 21:34:58 CET 2007

On 20/12/07 18:25 -0200, Omar Esteves Duarte Filho wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to use LinuxBIOS with AMD Geode DB800 platform. However, until
> now, I could not manage to get VGA output working.
>
> Here is a summary of what i've tried:
>
> - built a LinuxBIOS rom image without VGA support.
> - downloaded a brand new kernel from www.kernel.org (kernel version:
> 2.6.23.9).
> - configured this kernel, enabling these options:
>  [*]   AMD Geode family framebuffer support (EXPERIMENTAL)
>  <*>     AMD Geode LX framebuffer support (EXPERIMENTAL)
>
> - editted GRUB's menu.lst file to include the following entry:
>
> 	title		Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.23.9-geodelx-fb
> 	root		(hd0,1)
> 	kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.9-geodelx-fb
> root=UUID=b40ebb15-49bd-4042-ab40-5437c0caa1ba ro quiet splash pnpbios=off
> 	initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.23.9-geodelx-fb
> 	quiet
> 	savedefault
>
> - compiled fbcon as a module.

Compile fbcon in to the kernel - if it is a module, then you won't see
any of the early kernel output at all.    I would also get rid of the
Ubuntu splash screen, it just getting in the way right now - remove 'quiet'
and 'splash' from the kernel line in grub.

> However, if I try to modprobe fbcon, i get nothing. Running startx also
> gives me no result... Does anyone have any idea or clue about this?

Was X configured for the 'amd' driver?

Jordan