[LinuxBIOS] Intel 3100 chipset

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Dec 27 13:49:36 CET 2007

Hi Ed,

On 27.12.2007 08:18, Ed Swierk wrote:
> The attached patch includes preliminary support for the Intel 3100
> integrated northbridge/southbridge/superio
> (http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/embedded/3100.htm). So far the
> code has been tested only on the Mt. Arvon development board
> (http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/devkits/pm3100.htm), which
> includes a 1.8GHz Pentium M and DDR2-400 ECC DRAM.

Great!

> The code works well enough to boot Linux 2.6.23.1 with serial console
> (on the 3100's UART), IOAPIC, working USB, and working DRAM (memtest86
> passes). The kernel reports the CPU is running at 600MHz; haven't
> figured out how to crank it up to full speed. A number of features are
> incomplete or untested, including PCI Express and IDE/SATA.

This is a good start.

> The southbridge code was adapted from 6300esb, the northbridge from
> e7520, and I forget where the mainboard code came from. Kudos to
> whoever implemented those.
>
> I'm working with a fairly old version of LinuxBIOSv2 so the patch
> probably breaks the latest svn.

Could you try to merge up to current svn and retest? If it still works,
merging will be easier. Then again, all files except
src/include/device/pci_ids.h are newly created and shouldn't conflict.

It seems that your code still depends on ROMCC. Do you see any chance to
switch to CAR for initialization? I have some CAR fixes pending for
Intel chips which should fix some problems of that code.

One final question: Did you use the public data sheets or are you under
NDA with intel?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel