[LinuxBIOS] RES: VGA Support on AMD DB800

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Fri Dec 28 22:03:10 CET 2007

On 26/12/07 10:50 -0200, Omar Esteves Duarte Filho wrote:
> Jordan,
>
> Thank you again!
>
> I removed splash and quiet form the menu.lst and added "console=tty0
> console=ttyS0,115200", as you can see below:
>
> title           Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.23.9-geodelx-fb
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.9-geodelx-fb
> root=UUID=a4e4ac87-c677-45e1-a
> a21-1e4654feac95 ro vga=771 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200
> initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.23.9-geodelx-fb
>
> I got some success here: startx works, but there's still no vga console
> before X starts. I think there is some problem with the lxfb driver because,
> if i switch the line " Device "AMD" " by "Device "Generic Video Card"" in
> the xorg.conf file, I get no result. lxfb and fbcon are built into the
> kernel.

This is starting to get off topic for the linuxbios list, but I'll answer
it here since others might have the same problem.

X and the kernel have nothing to do with one-another - they are completely
seperate entities.  If you do not see the text console (and the penguin)
once the kernel has started, then something has gone wrong.  Please send
the dmesg output from your kernel, and your kernel config.

Jordan