[LinuxBIOS] ck804 romstrap modification

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coresystems.de
Wed Feb 7 23:34:57 CET 2007

Lu, Yinghai wrote:
> So you need to scripts for flash
> 1. get mac address from the legacy bios from flash
> 2. flash your linuxbios.
> 3. reprogram you mac address again.
>
> Or conbine 2/3 to update linuxbios image, and flash it if you like.

Maybe this is a case where we might want to teach that kind of
information to the flashrom utility?

It could detect the ck804, read the required information, and, when a
specific option is set, change the to-be-flashed image on the fly.

> Late when you like update linuxbios with linuxbios, just use flash util
> with execlude command line to keep the mac address.

Most of the flash drivers do "dummy exclusions" right now. Should we try
to fix them up?

> Good HW design should use serial EEPROM on smbus to preserve the MAC
> address instead like s2895.

Good hardware design also uses SCSI instead of IDE, but that does not
always help ;-)

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613