[LinuxBIOS] Port V1 -> V2

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Thu Feb 22 07:19:25 CET 2007

joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
> Ok, I think I got it figured out. Attached is my config. Would someone
> mind taking a quick look to see if it looks good?? Feedback?
>
> Thanks - Joe
>
> Quoting joe at smittys.pointclark.net:
>
>> Hello,
>> How hard is it to port a chipset from version 1 to version 2?
>> I have a Intel 82830 Northbridge (only V1) and I need to port it to V2.
>> All the rest of my hardware is already listed in V2.
>> Can somone point me in the right direction?

I don't think your northbridge is going to work. 440bx afaik isn't
working right now, so your quick hack (no offense) to 430 probably isn't
going to work either (although it might). Make sure you've got some sort
of system for getting the factory bios back if it fails (BIOS saviors
are wonderful, if you can get one). Also, when sending things to the
list, it's best if you whip off a patch, as described here:
http://www.linuxbios.org/Development_Guidelines#Creating_Patches, it
really helps to clarify where you've made changes and point out what
you've done. LinuxBIOSv1 also has support for the 430tx, as you've
already noted, and you'll find a lot of info on how things work there,
if you understand assembly. Intel also has some datasheets for both the
430tx and hx, they're all available with a little clicking from here:
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009194.htm

I'm looking at some pictures of the rm4100 (you got me interested in
it), and it doesn't look like there's even a serial port header, let
alone a serial port. Do you have one on your board? That will be pretty
much essential to debugging. As for your TV-Out, initializing it should
be done by the onboard video BIOS, which you'll have to extract and use
with a similar process to the one described here:
http://www.linuxbios.org/FAQ#Testbios_.28vgabios.29_Faq

If you've got any other questions, please post back. I'm certainly no
expert on linuxbios, but I'll try to help if I can, and if not, there
are others around that probably can.

-Corey