[LinuxBIOS] Bios flashing

Mark Kotyk mkotyk at psyndicate.net
Fri Jan 19 18:24:45 CET 2007

Here's a couple links I found to be really cool.  They propose using
cheap and common flash socketed network cards as flash memory
programmers.  This could be had for a lot cheaper/easier than a BIOS
Savior.  I feel these links should be added to the Wiki.

http://ctflasher.sourceforge.net/ - Linux based software project to
flash various types of flash memory using a variety of network cards.
http://sandeen.net/fwfix/index.html - The original link I found that
proposed the idea, and successfully applied it to update a USB hard
drive firmware.

I'm planning to do a Car PC project using LinuxBIOS on a EPIA-MII
motherboard.  I was able to find a cheap 3Com PLCC flash socketed
network card at my local computer surplus store this morning.  Now I
just need to order a few spare memory chips from digikey ($1.79 each),
and a PLCC chip extractor for good measure, and I'm ready to rock'n'roll.

Cheers