[LinuxBIOS] help from ubuntu and FC6 experts

Hamish Guthrie hamish at prodigi.ch
Thu Jan 25 00:56:28 CET 2007

Hi Guys,

I still monitor a lot of what is going on on the LinuxBIOS list. I am
now doing a lot of work on ARM and MIPS stuff, in which environments a
cross-compilation is required ... well also, in most of my embedded x86
stuff I maintain I now also use a cross-compilation toolchain so that I
can use uClibc.

Maybe it would be an idea to create a very simple LinuxBIOS toolchain
system where from a small SVN download, one can have a clean build
environment using a pseudo cross-compile environment with a clean
compiler per the 'latest' LinuxBIOS suggestion.

I personally use either Buildroot or another really interesting
environment called openwrt (which has a really neat build environment
aimed at the low-cost broadcom chip-based router environment), but
essentially with these environments, one does an SVN checkout which
downloads a series of scripts and makefiles, and from that a make
creates a completely new toolchain from the specified known sources.

The really great thing about this is that one then has a KNOWN toolchain
and all compiles are done with this KNOWN toolchain. Removes a whole lot
of crap from the entire build environment, and, it generally works on
ANY Linux platform - sure, there are some issues on OSX etc, but it does
sure make a clean Linux build environment.

This may be a resolution to the screwed toolchains supplied in certain
distros. I personally stopped using ANY flavour of redhat about 5 years
ago when they released 7.1 with totally screwed beta compilers, which
just broke everything. Since then I have used SuSE and have mostly never
looked back. I have never used any RH or Fedora distro since then,
purely because I have no idea what they will incorporate in the next
release. At least by using the core code, one has a bit of security in
knowing what one is dealing with .... ever tried to tell RH that they
introduced a bug in the compiler toolchain??? I think it would probably
have fallen on deaf ears. I must also point out that since 7.1, RedHat
have insisted on creating their own 'patched' versions of GCC which may
work for them, but for generic sources, there are frequently issues.
(Especially when cross-compiling).

Just my tuppence!

Hamish