[LinuxBIOS] Filo boot from CD-Rom syntax

Russ Whitaker russ at ashlandhome.net
Tue Jan 30 09:40:26 CET 2007

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007, roger wrote:

> Can somebody please update the Filo README file (and/or the Linuxbios
> Filo documentation) to including the following concerning CD-ROM device
> file syntax?
>
> ie. CD-ROM device is to be specified as "hdc1" and not "hdc"!
>

> Following is the relevant Filo documentation clippings:
>
> According to: http://te.to/~ts1/filo/CHANGES
> "* Support for mounting boot disk image of El Torito bootable CD-ROM.
> ("hdc1" means the boot disk image of the CD-ROM at hdc.)"
>

> However, I only see a very vague reference for the syntax of specifying a
> CD-ROM drives within Filo's README:
>
> "Notation of DEVICE for IDE disk and
> CD-ROM is same as in Linux (eg. hda1 means the first partition of
> master device on primary IDE channel)."
>
> (With the above Filo README information, the user is going to think
> "/dev/hdb" or "hdb" instead, FILO wants to see "hdb1"!)

Personally I think that is a "bug" in FILO.
    "hdx"   refers to the entire device "x"
    "hdx1"  refers to the first primary partition of "x"
    "hdx2"  refers to the second primary partition of "x"

And since you can't partition a CD-ROM ( or DVD for that mater ) "hdb"
should be correct.

reference: "man fdisk", etc.

     russ