[LinuxBIOS] Linuxbios hardware compatibility

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Jul 23 17:32:05 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 04:40:14PM +0200, Matteo.Merli at servicesolutions.spx.com wrote:
> Could you help us on understanding if our system architecture is
> Linuxbios compliant?

I'm afraid it is not.

> Step 1: A very brief description of your system: CPU and mainboard
> and optionally other important details.
> PC based portable device with Intel Celeron 800MHz 0 cache CPU, Intel
> 915GM north bridge and Intel ICH6-M south bridge

The problem is the northbridge. There is work in progress for 810/855
but the 915 is unchartered territory. In general recent Intel
northbridges aren't supported. There has not been documentation
available. If you have documentation and would be willing to help add
support that would be most welcome.

> Step 3: SuperIO chip on the mainboard (report the model numbers on the
> actual chip - doesn't appear in the lspci output)
> Winbond multi I/O W83627HG

While not explicitly supported, there is support for 83627EHG and
83627HF, and superio chips seem to have both rather stable
programming interfaces, and readily available documentation.

> Step 4: Type of BIOS device (See the question "How do I identify
> the BIOS chip on my mainboard?" below.)
> SST49LF008A

This is supported.

//Peter