[LinuxBIOS] trying to boot Gigabyte M575SLI

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Sat Jun 2 17:34:40 CEST 2007

Hi Ward,

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:14:55AM -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> >          { X86_VENDOR_AMD, 0x50ff2 }, /* DH-F2      Socket AM2: Athlon64 */
> > +        { X86_VENDOR_AMD, 0x60fb1 }, /* DH-F2???   Socket AM2: Athlon64 Brisbane*/
> >          { X86_VENDOR_AMD, 0x40fc2 },            /*        S1g1:Turion64 */
>
> Very interesting. What CPU do you have?

The CPU is a "AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+" EE 65W (Brisbane, 65nm). Seems to be
not very common (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon_64_X2  -> "This led to
only a small number of the Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 4000+, 4400+, 4800+ and
5200+ models being produced."...?)

> > -some problems with X: with the proprietary BIOS the machine freezes using the free nv driver
> > (02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS]). It works with linuxbios, but
> > I have to log in twice with no cursor the first time. The nvidia driver does not work with linuxbios.
>
> Did you add the i2c workaround in xorg.conf? I have not tried the proprietary
> nvidia driver. The nv driver works for me.

I checked this by now, but see no difference. However, there seems to be
something strange with my video card or monitor unrelated to the BIOS.
After some time the Xserver uses 100% CPU and freezes, in advance graphic
errors appear (only nv driver). Perhaps the graphics chip gets too hot which
does not happen with the closed nvidia driver (better power management?).
I placed a fan now near the (passively cooled) card, and up to now it works
fine. Could you send me your xorg.conf? It may help getting nv working with the
proprietary BIOS.

> > -still the "Fallback" bios is booted, although I could not find any difference in the configuration of standard and
> > fallback BIOS. The same file.elf was used.
>
> You can fix that with the lxbios tool; the fallback is just the default.

Thanks for that tip! I already downloaded it-

Regards,

	Andi