[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] i82801 generic patch

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coresystems.de
Wed Jun 6 20:24:13 CEST 2007

Corey Osgood wrote:
> The attached patch is a unified version of the current ports of the
> i82801 series currently in LinuxBIOS. Since most of the ports are nearly
> identical, I've taken for each file and chosen the cleanest or best
> version of the code, then checked over the datasheets to *some* of the
> series, including the aa, ba, ca, and db, to make sure that it would
> work. I've also made some changes here and there, mostly cleanup and
> clarification. The only things left to look at are the huge difference
> between this version's lpc init and the i82801er's, finding a better way
> to select which chip is present on the board, and gpl headers in all
> files. Anyways, comments, suggestions, even flames are welcome ;)
> Testing on other chips can be done at this point as well, this is tested
> and working on one model, the i82801aa.

Some ideas that could simplify the code:
[..]
+#elif 	I82801_MODEL == I82801ER
+#define	I82801_PCI	0x244e
+#define	I82801_LPC	0x24d0
+#define	I82801_IDE	0x24db
+#define	I82801_SATA	0x24df
[..]

You can also add several PCI driver structures in a driver, pointing to
the same PCI ops.

+static struct pci_driver pci_driver __pci_driver = {
+	.ops    = &pci_ops,
+	.vendor = PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL,
+	.device = I82801_PCI,
+};

So you could add one of these for each supported component. Since each
pci_driver struct is only 8 bytes, the driver could be made to
completely autodetect which southbridge chip you are using without the
need for any #defines.

The only non-pci_driver use of the _MODEL #define is in
src/southbridge/intel/i82801xx/i82801xx_smbus.h
which is for smbus_write_block() which does not seem to be used, yet.

So my suggestion is to put an unconditional #warning there so that code
can be fixed if it should not work on a given ICH and is ever used.

Forgot to say:
Good work! Really nice!

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613