[LinuxBIOS] 440BX

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Jun 22 16:22:59 CEST 2007

[Please always write to the mailing list, not individual developers]

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 12:54:40PM +0200, Robert Millan [ackstorm] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a Compaq Deskpro board with 440BX chipset that I'd like to put LinuxBIOS
> in.  I noticed that defaults for Tyan are hardcoded, so gave a look at the
> source to see if I could replace the defaults to get it working for me.
>
> However, I couldn't find any reference to which constants are hardcoded.  The
> numbers in i440bx.h look like based on Intel specs, not sure if they're those?

Yep, i440bx.h is fine, no changes needed.

You have to change some values in raminit.c, e.g. the DRB* values and
most of the stuff from sdram_set_spd_registers(). If you use only one
64MB DIMM in the first slot it may even work without modifications.

Otherwise you can run "lspci -xxx -s 0:0.0" to get the values which
should work for your system. Reading parts of the datasheet is probably
a good idea if you want to give this a try.

I still didn't get around to making the 440BX RAM init code fully
generic; I hope to be able to do so soon. I'm afraid we'll have to switch
to CAR though, I ran into massive romcc problems the last time I tried this.

Uwe.