[LinuxBIOS] crashfree , virtual dual BIOS - PCI expansion ROM

Quux pawn2be.wild at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 7 14:13:15 CET 2007

Stefan Reinauer schrieb:
> * Quux <pawn2be.wild at yahoo.de> [070307 13:45]:
>
>> my favourite has always been Elitegroup "top hat flash" - a bios saviour
>> lookalike w/o the switch.
>>

> Did they use software switching?

no : putting on the top hat (a second socket with second chip)
"switches" to secondary.
lifting it off manually ("hot unplug") falls back. cheap but effective.

>> Does it make sense to put Linux BIOS on a Ethernet NIC to avoid that
>> soldering stuff ? take out the card and fall back to standard BIOS ? max
>> 128 KByte possible.
>>

> That won't work since the standard bios does not support it.

expansion ROM is called very early. I thought the expansion could be
programmed to not return into main BIOS.
then the main BIOS does not do much except call the linuxBIOS ?   --Q