[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBios on a braille display ?

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed Mar 7 15:51:06 CET 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:28:52PM +0100, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:
> Regarding the connections, I guess lspci told you even more than I
> know.

The lspci matches the Kontron JRex-GX1 and JRex-GX1LCD/PLUS boards.

I can only find one photo of each board on Kontron's site and only
the GX1LCD seems to have a socket. There is a TSOP flash chip on the
GX1 that is soldered. The GX1LCD uses a PLCC chip in a socket.
(TSOP and PLCC are two common flash chip packages.)

The photos only show the top of both boards so there is a small
chance that there's a PLCC socket on the bottom of the GX1 board, but
I doubt that, and there's no other common chip that would be in a
TSOP package in a Geode GX1 design other than the flash ROM.

The boards differ in where the different connectors are located.

GX1 has connectors in this order:
Serial, VGA, S-video, LAN, USB

GX1LCD has them in this order:
USB, S-video, LAN, serial, VGA

Does either match the connectors on your box?

Another thing to note, the GX1LCD connectors are not all lined up,
that is, the USB and LAN connectors protrude a bit from the edge of
the board, whereas on the GX1 all connectors are flush with the board
edge.

Unfortunately I think you have the JRex-GX1 board with the soldered
TSOP flash chip, since the GX1LCD is a PC/104 board targeted at
industrial solutions while the GX1 board is in a form factor better
suited for inclusion in appliances.

TSOP chips are more difficult to work with than PLCC because they
have a much finer pitch between the pins, there's 0.5mm between the
center of two adjacent pins, and each pin is 0.2mm wide.

That said, anything is possible, there are ways to work with TSOP
chips too, but I'm afraid it's a lot more work and it will require
some expensive tools.

//Peter