[LinuxBIOS] setting up linuxbios?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Mar 9 02:15:52 CET 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 04:49:35PM +0000, Craig Bane wrote:
> Hi just want to clear a few things up before I try to install linuxbios onto
> my ecs a754 motherboard.

Please note that the board is not yet supported. You'll have to do some
coding to get it going.

Some of your hardware seems to be supported, though (CK804, K8), so it's
probably not too hard...

If you want to tackle this, make sure you have a backup option, in case
something goes wrong (e.g. an extra BIOS chip with a backup of your
original BIOS).

Is the BIOS chip soldered on or socketed? What Super I/O do you have?

> After linuxbios is compiled and my bios is flashed what will I need to do in
> order to boot a single linux distro.

There are various ways to boot Linux. Either via FILO (a simple
GRUB-like bootloader), or by booting another Linux kernel and then using
kexec to boot the "real" one. Maybe there are more possibilities.

Using FILO, you'll just tell it in the 'Config' file where your kernel
image and initrd are (and some other options) and it will boot that...

Uwe.