[LinuxBIOS] trying to boot gigabyte m57sli-s4

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Mon Mar 12 21:47:19 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 09:42:59PM +0100, ST wrote:
> Thanks for your quick answer.
> > Booting 2.6.20.1 with noapic works for me:
> yah, but i'd really like to use both processors of this X2 ...
> So am i right that you can't boot without the "noapic" line?

Uhm - no?

ward at neuromancer:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 75
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp
lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 2011.97
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 75
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp
lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 2011.97
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

(this is 2.6.21-rc3, but it should be the same for 2.6.20.x)

> I am going to trying the rc kernels.
> > Yeah, normal boot first :)
> Yeah.
> > > Besides does anybody know if the second free place on the PCB is still
> > > connected in a proper way to enable diy dual boot bios. Does anybody know
> > > which spi flash type is placed on the m57sli-s4.
> > Uhm - none I think. If you look closely at the second (free) place, you'll
> > see paths for a plcc socket, and within that, paths for an spi flash part
> > (I think).
> Ok, so placing a plcc socket would probably work out for a diy dual socket
> board.
> > You only need the outer ring for the plcc. That's what the first chip is -
> > when ours came off, there was nothing underneath.
> I would prefer not to remove the first part but solder something on the free
> space. I think i have to search my multimeter.

I don't know how that second chip is wired up, or how the fallback mechanism
works...

Thanks,
Ward.

--