[LinuxBIOS] Accessing MCP55 internal serial UART, GPIOs

Ed Swierk eswierk at arastra.com
Wed Mar 14 06:13:39 CET 2007

I'm trying to get LinuxBIOS booting on a custom board with a Socket
AM2 Athlon and an MCP55. There is no SuperIO; instead, we're using the
MCP55's internal serial UART. A couple of the MCP55's GPIO pins are
hooked up to LEDs.

I have had no luck getting either the serial port or the LEDs to work,
though. My cache_as_ram_main() sets up the serial port by:

- enabling the serial port and configuring the IO address and IRQ in
register 0x78 on PCI device 1:0
- NOT redirecting IO address 0x3f8 to the LPC bus in register 0xa0 on
PCI device 1:0 (as is done when the serial port is on a SuperIO)
- setting GPIO pins 11, 12, 13 and 14 to their "normal" (non-GPIO)
mode, which I hope is RX, TX, DTR and DSR

It also tries to turn on an LED on GPIO pin 1 by setting it to GPIO
output mode, drive low.

Has anyone tried tried this with an MCP55-based board? Any ideas for
other ways to communicate with the outside world when the serial port
doesn't work?

--Ed