[LinuxBIOS] trying to boot gigabyte m57sli-s4

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Mon Mar 19 16:57:16 CET 2007

Hi Yinghai,

Finally got some more time to play with LB.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 03:36:01PM -0700, yhlu wrote:
> you may need to reconfig your eth0. because the MAC address or pci
> device id change.

You're quite right. The mac address changes when switching to LinuxBIOS.

Why exactly is this? Is there a way to avoid it? Ideally, I'd like LinuxBIOS
to be a drop-in replacement for the proprietary BIOS, with as few system
configuration changes required as possible.

> acpi support may need dsdt..., and that copyright doesn't belong to Nvidia

So - what needs to happen to get ACPI support, and how can we make that
happen?

I assume that some code changes are needed first of all - and then
negotiations with the mainboard vendors to acquire any required dsdt's? Or
can we extract those from a running proprietary bios somehow?

> we may need one cleaning room implementation...

Can you please elaborate a bit on what would be necessary? Maybe this could
be a summer of code project?

Thanks for all your help!
Ward.

--