[LinuxBIOS] PhyWrite [SPI flash-chips] PCI ROM

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Wed Mar 21 16:49:07 CET 2007

Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> I'd definitely give it a try if someone comes up with a HW solution.
>
> Does this require writing flash drivers in VHDL?

I can get some boards and make some adapters.

They include a XC3S500E-4FG320C FPGA with 500K logic gates.

It seems like we can use the PicoBlaze cpu core:
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/ipcenter/data_sheet/picoblaze_productbrief.pdf

The PicoBlaze instruction set can be found here:
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/userguides/ug129.pdf

There is a free C compiler found here:
http://www.poderico.co.uk/

A simulator and assembler for the picoblaze, with a graphical user
interface, and an assembler for the picoblaze, with a command line
interface:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~marksix/

KPicoSim is an IDE for the picoblaze microcontroller.KPicoSim is a
development environment for the Xilinx PicoBlaze-3 soft-core processor
for the KDE Desktop (Linux).The environment has an editor with syntax
highlighting (based on the popular katepart), compiler, simulator and an
export functions to VHDL, HEX and MEM files.

If it looks better to use a 32 bit cpu core and run uClinux we can use
the MicroBlaze core. I'll have to see how well it fits into the 500K
gates of the FPGA.
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=micro_blaze

uClinux for the MicroBlaze
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux/

FLASH drivers aren't too complicated. Having the board emulate flash is
mostly done in hardware. Ethernet would require a tcp\ip stack. We have
a choice between doing everything in C on an 8-bit micro or uClinux on a
32-bit cpu.

I have time do develop the hardware for this, but not much for software.
I'll post all the schematics, regster info. and VHDL to the LinuxBIOS
site. Let me know what everyone else thinks and prefers to use for the
software end.

-Bari