[LinuxBIOS] Via EPIA-MII 12000 questions

Martin Portmann martin.portmann at gmail.com
Wed May 2 17:15:43 CEST 2007

I am developing software for a VIA-EPIA-MII 12000 used in a CarPC project.
At the moment I am using Fedora as operating system, directfb to access the
screen and some self developed applications for audio, video and mapping.
The actual boot-up times are about 20 seconds from the 2.5'' IDE drive.

I would like to boot from a CompactFlash card in order to speed up the boot
process and get a robuster sytem.

So I as a newie I have some questions:

[1] What are the tipical boot up times I can expect (striped down linux
kernel, minimal startup scripts, no X11)?
[2] If sombody from the community that has the same board (but possibly
another revision) and gives me an working image to try how likely do I end
up with a brick?
[3] Any helps, tips, references to help me (I tried to google but did not
find a lot, the actual documentation on LinuxBIOS is also quite confusing)?

Best regards
- Martin Portmann