[LinuxBIOS] [patch 0/4] AMD Geode LX support for LinuxBIOS

Marc Jones marc.jones at amd.com
Wed May 2 21:25:46 CEST 2007

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 06:10:54PM -0600, Marc Jones wrote:
>> The VSA binary source is LGPL
>
> Awesome!
>

>> and is available at: http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=geode-vsa
>
> git.do seems broken. I get a PHP error.
>

>> This is just a temporary home until we can port it to open
>> source/linux tools and find the code a home. It currently builds
>> with Microsoft MASM and C. We are trying to move to GCC. We post
>> the binary since most OSD can't build it.
>
> You can earn a lot of free credit by also mentioning the source. :)
>

>>> Also, is the VSA binary needed for _any_ LinuxBIOS usage on the
>>> LX, or just to enable certain features? In other words, can we
>>> do _anything_ with the LX without the VSA binary?
>> VSA is not required. An example is the OLPC Open Firmware + custom
>> Linux image.
>
> Could you expand on what benfits this VSA blob lead to?
>
> And how does it hook into LinuxBIOS?
>
> Is the blob really only a VSM, and there is already generic VSA
> support in LinuxBIOS?
>
> Etc.
>

> //Peter

The VSA code main responsibility is to virtualize the pci config space
for the internal devices (video, usb, ide, etc.) The posted binary and
source code is VSA and contains several VSMs, sysmanager, legacy, and lx
graphics. LinuxBIOS already had support for VSA from the olpc port. The
same mechanism is used. VSA is treated as a payload that is run before
LinuxBIOS pci initialization. See src\cpu\model_lc\vsmsetup.c (it should
probably be renamed vsasetup.c but that is a minor detail)

Marc

--
Marc Jones
Senior Software Engineer