[LinuxBIOS] Suggestions for LinuxBIOS v3

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed May 2 22:36:00 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:10:33PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:49:53AM -0700, Vlad wrote:
> > 1) Bootsplash in both LinuxBIOS and bootloader, with a message
> > along the lines of "Press the Esc key to change boot options".
>
> Bootsplash is overrated :)

In your opinion. I don't care much for it either, but I definately
understand why people like it.

> I very much like VGA text mode, you know where you stand with VGA
> consoles.

I also think that text mode has many benefits, but not everyone
likes it, and that is fine, even good.

> > 2) An X.org utility for changing boot order, as opposed to an
> > ncurses-based one. This allows the user to use the mouse to drag
> > and drop devices in the list. This alone would place LinuxBIOS
> > ahead of proprietary BIOSes in terms of usability.
>
> YUCK!

Please remember, you will not be forced to use this utility, Luc.

> What would be wrong with a curses utility? ( For those who prefer a
> bit of bling that is)
>
> Really, what is this drive for GUIs. What's wrong with a nice
> command line utility.

CLI is not for everyone. Personally I also like CLI, but that does
not matter. Unless a product is comfortable it's users will run away
screaming. It makes sense to have all the options available so that
there's something to suit everyone.

> If you need a gui to configure and flash your bios, then maybe
> you shouldn't be touching your bios at all.

I disagree strongly with this statement.

Technology must be adapted to man, not the other way around.

I think one big benefit of open source is that it allows consumers
rather than producers to do these adapations. A smart consumer with
a bit of time on her hands will do so much better than any producer.

Cheers! :)

//Peter