[LinuxBIOS] [patch 0/4] AMD Geode LX support for LinuxBIOS

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu May 3 19:10:10 CEST 2007

* Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [070503 19:03]:
> According to Mitch Bradley, switching away from VSA saved ~10 seconds
> during early bootup.

This makes me think there was something pretty much broken.
The GX1 I have here does not even need 10s before it starts loading the
OS, and it has VSA in place (not LinuxBIOS though)

> I'd like to split the VSA into "useful" chunks and "unneeded" chunks.
> VGA/sound emulation is now unnecessary since Linux has drivers for
> the native hardware. Bootloaders might want VGA, though.
> However, PCI emulation makes some things much easier IMO.

So do distributions. Loading a geodefb in a non-embedded platform is
most likely not going to happen, unless someone tunes the system.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613