[LinuxBIOS] AMD Geode LX VSA and VSMs

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri May 4 05:21:30 CEST 2007

On 5/3/07, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:

> I completely agree on that. While having component (drivers) and
> architecture specific knowledge in the kernel definitely makes sense,
> such board specific details do not belong in the kernel, or it will make
> the kernel very hard to maintain.

yes, I recall that when I proposed putting this kind of mother-board
specific stuff in Linux, at the first linuxbios summit in 2005, people
were ready to shoot me. This is the kind of stuff that has appeared in
the OLPC kernel. And, it makes ports of other OSes -- in my case, Plan
9 and Inferno -- a major pain in the neck. Doable, but not at all fun.

ron