[LinuxBIOS] Booting windows from LinuxBIOS

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Fri May 4 18:51:14 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 10:01 +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Al Boldi <a1426z at gawab.com> [070504 06:38]:
> > > Mitch wrote a fast path resume from RAM for the OLPC Geode hardware.
> > > Once you've done that, you find that you've done just about everything
> > > to initialize the hardware in the first place; so that code is now used
> > > both at boot time and at suspend from RAM time.
> >
> > I suppose this was done by relying on the ACPI tables?
>
> No, no ACPI involved. ACPI is far too slow and broken to do the task.

Yes, no ACPI, and when we did have ACPI, it was clearly too slow for our
needs. Without even doing significant performance work, the system now
resumes from RAM in about 160ms, and Jordan believes the hardware will
let us do about 63ms.  Gotta get the B3 build done before we'll have
time to do any serious performance work.

> It's a mixture between the Open Firmware device tree and FCode.
> Reinvented poorly.

I don't think this is what Mitch did.  However, it is quite Geode/OLPC
specific.  As I said, it's a fixed configuration system, with known
hardware; very different than most systems.
                                - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child