[LinuxBIOS] A very good idea

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Sat May 5 02:56:52 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 11:29:04AM -0700, yhlu wrote:
> Very good explanation about LinuxBIOS and Linux Kernel.

I agree. Thanks Ron!

> Some ideas about future FW:
> 1. LinuxBIOS only need to do basic things like mem and basic init
> like HT, and basic PCI resources allocation
> 2. leave other thing to tiny linux kernel.
> 3. Thanks to Eric for kexec. and it make linux boot linux happen.

I like it. Just sucks that flash isn't growing in size sooner.

Does anyone know how much flash is in the MacBooks with EFI btw?

> So left work:
> 1. for LinuxBIOS: need to make the ACPI to more complete to support
> Nvidia chipset, and we need ACPI to do the thing instead of SMI,
> and hot plug things....

This ACPI situation.. Is ACPI _really_ what anyone needs?

I expect a $4000 laptop to resume as fast as, if not faster than, the
OLPC $100 machine. Seems that will be impossible with ACPI. What do
the power management people think about this?

ACPI is needed for the short term, but what about the slightly longer
term?

//Peter