[LinuxBIOS] supermicro/h8dmr port, vga

Patrick McMurchie patrick at siliconmechanics.com
Tue May 8 20:22:29 CEST 2007

Thanks for the respnonse, things are going much better now.

On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 22:05 -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:
[snip...]

> Hmmm, this is strange, and perhaps the cause of the problem. I've just built
> the h8dmr target with ROM_SIZE set to 1003520, and the image it generated was
> exactly that size. So I'm not seeing this behavior here, in other words.
> Prepending the VGA rom gives me an image that is exactly 1024KB, as expected.
> I can't test it of course since I don't have the hardware :)
>
> I guess my first question is, are you building from the main LinuxBIOS V2
> tree, or from the patches that Yinghai sent to the list months ago? You
> should work from the tree, since Yinghai's MCP55 patch is now sufficiently
> merged.

I'm using un-patched source strait from svn. I checked out a fresh copy
to retrace my steps, and things are working now. My buildrom line was
missing the "failover" argument, which accounts for the missing 4k :).
Silly me.

> > Per the VGA Howto, I've un-commented the appropriate device section in
> > src/mainboard/supermicro/h8dmr/Config.lb,
>
> I was looking at that file, and I'm not sure what you had to un-comment?
> Nothing was marked as VGA.

"device pci 6.0" in the pci_domain 0 section. It looks like I had
misread the vga howto and calculated the offset of the /end/ of the VGA
ROM, in relation to the 4GB boudary, whoops.

> > and enabled both
> > CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA and CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN in the target's Config.lb.
>
> Yeah, those are enabled by default in the tree.

Ah, so they are.

On another note, when booted from LinuxBIOS the MAC addresses of the
onboard NICs are different. They appear to hail from a block assigned to
Tyan. Looking at the docs, this appears to be normal and the suggested
solution is to set them in the OS. Can this be configured in the lxbios
build process, as well? I worry about using etherboot to pxe-boot
multiple servers at the same time.

Perhaps that's unfounded, though-- If I flash the same lxbios image to a
second system, will the MACs be the same as on the first?

Thanks,
Patrick.