[LinuxBIOS] ALi M1621 support and general support for other NBs

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu May 17 13:35:28 CEST 2007

Hi Holger!

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 12:52:26PM +0200, popkonserve wrote:
> i'm currently implementing raminit functions for the ALi M1621
> (Aladdin-Pro II) chipset. They should be working without any SPD data at
> least for the detection of the RAM type and size(s). In general i think
> that size and type detection is the same on most chipsets (if not all)
> especially if it comes to EDO/FPM detection.
> SPD data should be used for timing parameters only..

I'm not sure I agree. If we _do_ have SPD data we should use it, almost
all boards currently have an SPD-driven RAM init.

Only if SPD data is not available we should use other means, IMHO.

> still a question remains: should we add overclocking options somewhere?
> maybe in the config file?

Well, yes if you can do it, that would be great. I'd not care much about
this at the moment, though. The first step is to make it work at all,
then you can start worrying about some of the more 'esoteric' features...

> as this would be my first contribution: is anybody willing to take a
> look into the sources?

Sure, please send patches (even non-finished, preliminary patches) for
review...

Also, make sure to read through
http://linuxbios.org/Development_Guidelines, especially the sign-off
procedure and the license header sections...

Cheers, Uwe.