[LinuxBIOS] Winflashrom - Directory structure consideration

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri May 18 16:48:22 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 06:33:42PM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
> Because this version of flashrom will be quite different in terms
> of code due to inherent differences between Linux/other Unix and
> Windows, I think it's better to put it as a "branch" of the
> flashrom directory.

Please don't make a subdirectory of flashrom. I would instead suggest
creating a new directory in util/ e.g. named winflashrom or whatever
you prefer.

> I'm still thinking  about the way to  incorporate the flash chip
> and motherboard support in as seamless way as possible so that
> every newer chip/motherboard support will be merged easily.

I can come up with two ways:

1. Use a database separate from the programs (as suggest by Stefan)
2. Create a library used by both programs.

I prefer 2 a lot;

* No database file to keep track of, the binary ALWAYS works
* For winflashrom the database needs to be sent to the kernel driver
  somehow, if not right now then I think at least in the future. That
  means extra work, when it could just be in code already.

The benefit of 1 is that the database can be updated at any time.
But I think at least the Windows version should have more
intelligence in the kernel driver than in the application so
upgrading will be a largeish operation anyway.

> In the mean time I need the information on how to commit the code
> once I have a tested version of the Winflashrom.

What you do is send a signed off patch to the mailing list. Use svn
diff to produce it. Then people on the list review and if it looks
good it gets committed. :)

> Anyway, I wonder how the qa (Quality Assurance / auto build, etc.)
> system will handle a windows version source code :-? especially the
> header files.

What is your current development environment? I would like it a lot
if you could write the software so that it is possible to build with
MinGW, then it could be cross-compiled easily and binaries could be
generated automatically.

//Peter