[LinuxBIOS] Booting into MSDOS

Ceri Coburn ceri.coburn at googlemail.com
Fri May 18 17:08:34 CEST 2007

MARTIN WOODHOUSE wrote:
> Hello Stefan and Darmawan and all
>
> Stefan wrote :
>
> /Since it comes with Linux preinstalled, it should be
> easier to use Linux than to try getting MSDOS working on there..!?
>
> Stefan/
>
> That may very well be true.   But I have a program already written for
> MSDOS (not Windows)
> which would be a truly major task to rewrite and recompile to run under
> Linux --- as SJ has alreeady pointed out to me.
>
> A presentation of this program can be found on my own Web site
>
> www.martin-woodhouse.co.uk <http://www.martin-woodhouse.co.uk/>
>
> -- and I do urge everybody to take a look at it.     If I cannot
> persuade you all to allow the XO to boot into MSDOS, my current
> alternative is to load both MSDOS itself, and a complete library of
> Illumination e-books, onto a USB flash drive --- there should be room
> for around a thousand or so such books on a 1 gig flashstick as well as
> MSDOS -- and arrange for the flashstick itself to be bootable.
>
> But this is rather an awkward way round of doing things; I'd much rather
> the XO could be dual-booted into both Linux and MSDOS.  And since you're
> already contemplating using Windows an an alternative OS,  ( ! ) this
> shouldn't really present too much of a problem, should it?
>
> Cheers and luv to all,
>
> Martin
>
> /
> /

Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, but LinuxBIOS as it currently stands
does not setup the old BIOS interrupts that DOS uses, which means
booting DOS from LinuxBIOS would be a big change

Martin - booting Windows/Linux is a different as they have their own
drivers for various hardware that is present within the machine

Ceri