[LinuxBIOS] Booting into MSDOS

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri May 18 22:24:07 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 09:02:31PM +0100, MARTIN WOODHOUSE wrote:
> Question, then :   will LinuxBIOS allow booting from (specifically)
> a RAM device in one of the USB ports?

LinuxBIOS, ADLO and Bochs could be made to boot from USB storage but
it needs some work. I don't think Bochs does USB storage.

> If so, I can almost certainly make a bootable RAM-stick, one vague
> area being that Illumination runs in VGA graphics mode?

I for one would really love to see you port Illumination over to
Linux instead. While I realizes it's designed around DOS and legacy
PC architecture I think a forward port is by far the cleanest
solution, and where effort is best spent. Of course, that's just my
humble opinion.

As far as the OLPC platform goes, there will never be a VGA interface
at least with an open source BIOS, so that will be a showstopper. The
Linux framebuffer API is fully supported however, and X on top of
that as I've understood it.

//Peter