[LinuxBIOS] Wiki - Booting Windows using LinuxBIOS (attempts)

Augusto Pedroza augusto.pedroza at gmail.com
Wed May 23 17:59:33 CEST 2007

On 5/23/07, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:

> * emanoel xavier <emanoelxavier at gmail.com> [070523 15:17]:
> > I've done these same steps (difference: instead of LILO I used GRUB) and
> > achieved the same results you did. I'll continue reading about possible
> > solutions, if I get something I'll let you know.
>
> What I do not understand: Why are you using LILO or GRUB at all to boot
> Windows?

We feel it is important to reproduce the steps used in the paper,
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix03/tech/freenix03/agnew/agnew_html/index.html
in a emulator. Since LILO was used to boot win 2000 and the paper also
stated that grub worked fine.
   Reading a little more ADLO's status file I found this:
        STATUS

LILO
    fully supported

GRUB
    fully supported

    notes
        int15/eAX=00C0 - not supported
        int15/Eax=5300 - not supported
        int 13 ; fn 41 -> dev 81
        int 13 ; fn 08 -> dev 81

In spite of that I am also working on a version that has windows boot
loader, NTLDR. I'm not having much success, the error seems to be very
similar to the one I get when I use GRUB.

Stefan

> --
> coresystems GmbH • Brahmsstr. 16 • D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.
>       Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
> Email: info at coresystems.dehttp://www.coresystems.de/
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Freiburg • HRB 7656
> Geschäftsführer: Stefan Reinauer • Ust-IdNr.: DE245674866
>
> --

Augusto Pedroza