[LinuxBIOS] Unlocking MCP61?

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Thu May 24 03:32:48 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 08:42:40PM +0200, Arno Willig wrote:
> My name is Arno, I am new to this list.

Welcome!

> I am trying to unlock the MCP61 chipset, any hints how to start?
> How did you find the unlock sequence for MCP55?

I believe Yinghai Lu had access to NVIDIA data sheets while working
for AMD and after having written the code he was eventually allowed
to release it back to LinuxBIOS.

> I need to get bios flashing working on a ASUS M2N-MX board using
> Linux.

May be much easier said than done. ASUS boards usually do some
special tricks..

> The sequences for CK804 and MCP55 work for *reading* the bios, but
> I am not able to write to the chip...

The flash chip can always be read, for doing anything else you will
need write access at the hardware layer however.

Does flashrom correctly identify your flash chip? If so, write access
is in fact working.

//Peter