[LinuxBIOS] Add support for a 64-bit target for Serengeti Cheetah

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Nov 1 17:56:26 CET 2007

On 01/11/07 10:35 -0600, Myles Watson wrote:

> I forgot one more thing that I'd like help improving in buildrom:
>
> I'd like to pass -j 6 to make to speed compilation (I added it to the kernel
> makefile for the target), but if you pass it to the top-level makefile it
> doesn't respect ordering.  Is there a way to have the top-level makefile
> include a jobs setting without breaking the build?

-j should always be the number of cores on your system + 1.  But ensuring
that the code builds cleanly is the job of the system.  If we have out of
order issues with buildrom we can try to address them, but if we start
getting too deeply into respecting strict dependencies then we will very
quickly get overly complex.  My suggestion is to pass in -j independently
to each package so that you can get the speed advantage there.

This is yet another reason why I'm pushing so hard to move the LAB and kernel
compile out of buildrom and into something else like buildroot or Firmware
Linux or <insert favorite tool here>.  I don't know if we want buildROM to
be in the business of understanding how to build a distro - there are other
packages out there that do a better job of that.  Where buildROM comes in
useful is managing the juxtaposition of LinuxBIOS and its payloads.  So instead
of building the kernel & LAB distro, if buildrom can pass control to buildroot
or one of its friends, and then consume the resulting filesystem image and
turn it into an ELF.

But until we get that working, I have no objection to passing -j <whatever>
into the various Makefiles.  We can make <whatever> a configurable option
in the advanced settings.

Jordan