[LinuxBIOS] buildrom tyan s2891 and LAB

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Wed Nov 7 17:44:39 CET 2007

On 07/11/07 11:27 -0500, Corey Osgood wrote:
> Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > On 07/11/07 09:31 -0500, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> >
> >> I really need to make work of that kconfig option for 'add vga bios after
> >> compile'.
> >>

> > I'm assuming its not freely distributable?  If it is, then we can wget
> > it and prepend it automagically.  If its not, then we have two courses
> > of action:
> >
> > 1) user manually copies a file into deploy, calling it vga.bin.  buildrom
> > automatically prepends any file called vga.bin to the ROM (to further make
> > it configurable, each platform could specify the filename to prepend).
> >
> > 2) User specifies the location of the file with a config option, buildrom
> > grabs the file from there and prepends it (like we do with the "custom
> > payload" right now).
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Jordan
> >

> 3) wget the stock bios and amideco/awardeco, and extract/prepend the vga
> bios automatically

That scares me a little.  Obviously, using the VGA BIOS from the stock
BIOS is fair use, but to me, exercising fair use dictates that the user
know and chose to excercise their rights.  Automating the process seems
a little dodgy to me - the user will end up with a VGA BIOS by methods
uknown.  Its a gray area, but I think we don't really want to be in this
business.  With the lack of a clear distribution policy (and this is where
we should all thank SiS again for getting the ball rolling and providing
a good example), then I think its not to much to ask the user to explicity
chose to excercise their rights to fair use.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer