[LinuxBIOS] Booting from USB

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 8 06:31:51 CET 2007

Hello!
I have a project taking shape that would eventually have a system booting a
file-system from USB.

I remember that we had a method of doing something of a sort from USB, using
the contents of the v1 release. To be honest I am not even sure I remember
the details behind it, or the individual who was the developer behind it,
just that it was possible. Up to a point of course.

Now the project, essentially it would be an EPIA type board with a USB
device a file-system, when booted we'd have a Linux prompt and all of the
usual features thusly. The networking card would be a commodity wireless
one.

The problem is that of selecting the board, and then configuring it to do
that. I would like recommendations. The problem is of course money I would
like it to be under 100 dollars US for the board. Preferably below 60
dollars US for it.

Currently the file-system I've chosen is that of RUNT Linux, the fact that
is a UMSDOS based arrangement built using Slackware Linux is that of the
reason.

And naturally when the thing came up and started the classic doing something
specific phase, that's where I'd be ending up with designing a gizmo to do
most of that. And coding the programs behind it.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net