[LinuxBIOS] IT8705F/AF superiotool dump

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Mon Nov 12 22:10:39 CET 2007

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 06:32:55PM +0100, Frieder Ferlemann wrote:
> Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
> Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
> Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
> Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Fintek'...                       No
> Trying family `ITE'...                                      Yes
> Found `ITE IT8705F Super IO Sensors'                        Success!
>     (address 0x290, driver `it87')
> Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
> Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
> Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
> Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Fintek'...                       No
> Trying family `ITE'...                                      Yes
> Found `ITE IT8705F Super IO Sensors'                        Success!
>     (address 0x290, driver `it87')

I've talked to khali (lm-sensors developer) on #linux-sensors and he
confirmed that some chips show this behavior, i.e. they respond on
_both_ the 0x2e and 0x4e config port. So this is likely neither a bug
in superiotool nor in sensors-detect.

I would argue that it's rather a bug in the chip; it makes it a lot
harder to detect whether there are _two_ Superio I/Os on a board...

lm-sensors has no problem with this, it stops scanning for chips as soon
as it found one (so it talks to the IT8705F on 0x2e, I assume). For LinuxBIOS
we can probably do the same if there's only one chip.

I have no idea how we should handle the case where there are _really_
two IT8705F chips on the same board (but on different config ports). We
probably cannot probe for this, so we'll have to hardcode it...

Anyway, added link to the IT8705F dump in the wiki, thanks!

Uwe.