[LinuxBIOS] #87: flashrom issues on m57sli-s4

Harald Gutmann harald.gutmann at gmx.net
Tue Nov 13 19:34:22 CET 2007

Am Dienstag, 13. November 2007 16:53:54 schrieb Carl-Daniel Hailfinger:
> Strange. None of the changes in my patch show up in your superiotool
> output. That either means these registers are special or some part of
> the patch was ineffective or it was not applied.
you are right! - it seems that somewhere a mistake happened to me, but i can't
say exactly where.
i did a new co from the lb v2 and added your patch, build the image flashed
and the superiotool output looks much more different. this time i built it
manually, not with the buildrom tool like before.

i attached a diff between the superiotool output from new linuxbios with your
patch and the output from superiotool from an older revision of lb.
also a second diff between the new lb version with your patch and the
propritary bios is attached. (superiotool outputs)

flashrom also don't fail any more with the "old" error message, but it seems
to hang on probing for the mx25l4005a:
benchvice flashrom # ./flashrom -m gigabyte:m57sli -V
Calibrating delay loop... 916M loops per second. OK.
Found canidate at: 00000530-00000e44
Found LinuxBIOS table at 0x00000530.
LinuxBIOS table found at 0x2ac58971e530.
LinuxBIOS header(24) checksum: 5897 table(2324) checksum: 0c99 entries: 14
Vendor ID: GIGABYTE, part ID: m57sli
Overwritten by command line, vendor ID: gigabyte, part ID: m57sli.
Found chipset "NVIDIA MCP55", enabling flash write... OK.
Found board "GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4": enabling flash write... Serial flash
segment 0xfffe0000-0xffffffff enabled
Serial flash segment 0x000e0000-0x000fffff enabled
Serial flash segment 0xffee0000-0xffefffff disabled
Serial flash segment 0xfff80000-0xfffeffff enabled
LPC write to serial flash enabled
serial flash pin 29
OK.
Probing for Am29F040B, 512 KB
probe_29f040b: id1 0x7f, id2 0x45
Probing for Am29LV040B, 512 KB
probe_29f040b: id1 0x7f, id2 0x45
Probing for Am29F016D, 2048 KB
probe_29f040b: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
Probing for AE49F2008, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x7f, id2 0x45
Probing for At29C040A, 512 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x7f, id2 0x45
Probing for At29C020, 256 KB
probe_jedec: id1 0x7f, id2 0x45
Probing for MBM29F400TC, 512 KB
probe_m29f400bt: id1 0x7f, id2 0x4c
Probing for MX29F002, 256 KB
probe_29f002: id1 0x7f, id2 0x45
Probing for MX25L4005, 512 KB

at this point nothing more happens.

> The changes in superiotool output have no relation at all to the patch.
> LDN 0x7 idx 0xc9 should have value 0x40, but your diff claims it is
> still 0x0. Since everything else is normal, the only possible conclusion
> is that you either booted an image without my patch (not necessarily
> your fault) or something magic resets all values to those from a
> revision without my patch.
>
> Did you remove the build directory before rebuilding? Did you power off
> the machine before booting with the patch? Can you run superiotool
> before running flashrom?
i thaught i've done everything right, but somewhere a mistake happened.

> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel

regards, harald