[LinuxBIOS] Socket 370 thought....

popkonserve popkonserve at gmx.de
Fri Nov 16 11:09:08 CET 2007

> I beg to differ Holger, I have bought these on ebay cheap, and they work
> just fine on boards that support them.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/New-370-CPU-Celeron-3-Converter-Socket-for-Tualatin_W0QQitemZ230192200737QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230192200737
>

> Here is one for 15$

THOSE adapters only reroute some signals. they leave the vcore
generation completely untouched and you can easily burn your board's
regulators. that's why they are so cheap. additionally those adapters
don't change voltage levels of some important signals esp. PWRGOOD. this
signal needs a level of 2.0V according to intel's specs. on some boards
it is just connected to vcore. with vcore way below 2.0V the cpu will
never start, not even with this adapter.
everyone with medicore soldering skills could rework a S370 to achieve
the same within 5 minutes.

but apart from all this: the bios (not even linuxbios) can distinguish
between a fcpga/fcpga-ii board and a ppga only board. only if all boards
were handtested by someone. this leads me back to my first thought: all
slot1 and s370 boards get support for all slot1 and s370 cpus. the bios
picks the correct handling routine during runtime like current bioses
do,too.
Holger