[LinuxBIOS] FILO with the USB

Al Boldi a1426z at gawab.com
Sat Nov 17 06:18:44 CET 2007

Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On 16/11/07 14:58 -0800, Steve Isaacs wrote:
> > Jordan Crouse wrote:
> >> Well, first and foremost, because the tiny kernel already knows how to
> >> do
> >
> > I'm sorry, can someone enlighten me as to what a "tiny kernel" is? Is
> > that anything similar to this? http://www.selenic.com/linux-tiny/
>
> Well, typically, its any kernel that is small enough to fit on the ROM,
> with small filesystem to accompany it.   And strangely enough, many
> people do use the linux-tiny patches to help make said kernel small
> enough.

The problem with the current tiny-kernel approach is that, it can't get
nearly as tiny as filo.  And when you have legacy systems like i440bx with
only 256kb flash, then tiny-kernel becomes a definite no go, which make filo
the only viable solution.

What we really need is a stripped down tiny-kernel.  IOW, a single-proc
kernel-stub with its sole purpose to provide access to the large linux
driver pool.  Later, this could conceivably be inlined with the LinuxBIOS
code-base, making LinuxBIOS really a BIOS that makes use of linux.

Thanks!

--
Al