[LinuxBIOS] FILO with the USB

bari bari at onelabs.com
Mon Nov 19 00:47:45 CET 2007

Al Boldi wrote:
> bari wrote:
>> Who is or will be designing anything with only 2Mb (256KB) of Flash?
>> It's difficult to even find Flash under 4Mb (512KB) in high volume.
>
> Even with 512kb you run a pretty tight ship.  And that's most boards today.
>
> The idea here is to keep the LB-footprint as tiny as possible, and not to
> bloat unnecessarily.  Just think about it for a second:  A multi-tasking,
> multi-threaded  kernel just to kexec.  Wow, talk about bloat.
>
> But, there is another way:  Have LB read the payload in raw from USB.

Eric got some pretty good results in stripping the Tiny1 Linux kernel
down a few years ago. 220K compressed and 371K uncompressed.
http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/1/4/10

Removing all the error messages from the kernel removed about 300k from
it alone.

Some recent projects that may be of interest:

Kernel Size Tuning Guide:
http://elinux.org/Kernel_Size_Tuning_Guide

Open Test Lab of the CE Linux Forum - results of testing the size of the
Linux kernel using different values for configuration options:
http://testlab.celinuxforum.org/otlwiki/ConfigSizeTestResultsNutOct1

~3Mb (375KB) is about the smallest I've seen with recent kernels

I haven't even seen any ucLinux kernels striped down to this small a
footprint.

Embedded Linux Wiki:
http://elinux.org/Main_Page

-Bari