[LinuxBIOS] "Trivial" patches

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 20 19:40:26 CET 2007

On 20.11.2007 19:20, ron minnich wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007 10:20 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>> various big code changes/additions have been committed as trivial by
>> others in the past, so I am considering to follow the same policy and
>> declare all of my future patches as trivial and commit them instantly if
>> I feel like it. That would surely speed up development for me.
>>
>> Comments/Flames/Applause welcome.
>>

> no, you should take us to task when we make that mistake, and I'm
> sorry if I have done it too much myself.
>
> Let's stick to the process, and try to flag violations of the process.

OK, can we decide on what should be (not) allowed, preferably as regexp
for the diff?

Suggestion for NOT allowed stuff:
* Adding files (if they were forgotten in the previous non-trivial
commit, reuse the Ack from there)
* Changing code unless it is a build fix and has "build fix" in the
commit log

Checking for added files in the commit hook is easy. Finding out whether
a patch touches code or comments is difficult. My idea is to strip
comments from the file before and after modification, then run "diff
-uw" on both versions.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel