[LinuxBIOS] Complete and generic 32bit/64bit support

yhlu yinghailu at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 04:51:34 CET 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 3:29 PM, Myles Watson <myles at pel.cs.byu.edu> wrote:

> > for x86_64 support
> > there is a patch i posted several months ago.
> >
> > because late x86_64 kernel vmlinux is elf64, you need to use melfImage
> > to convert that to elf32.
> >
> > YH
>
> I tested it using the amd serengeti_cheetah LAB (64-bit) platform in buildrom
>
> With mkelfimage 2.5 using bzImage (vmlinux doesn't work)
> Payload takes 901210 Bytes (880 KBytes) in ROM:
>
> With mkelfimage 2.7 and Yinghai's patch using bzImage
> Payload takes 900919 Bytes (879 KBytes) in ROM:
>
> With mkelfimage 2.7 and Yinghai's patch using vmlinux
> Payload takes 770726 Bytes (752 KBytes) in ROM:
>
> So 2.7 is marginally better anyway, and blows 2.5 away by using vmlinux.
>
> I tested it and it boots.  I think we should upgrade to 2.7 and use the patch.

this afternoon, played a while linuxbios + tiny kernel on l1_2pvv.
find something interesting.

vmlinux 2.6.18.1 in buildrom
A. built from on my laptop with opensuse 10.3 64bit
B. built from my workstation with Suse 10.0 pro 64bit

A is much bigger than B, Also A doesn't work mkelfImage + LinuxBIOS,
but B work with mkelfImage + LinuxBIOS

then I tried 2.6.24-rc3 from git, it works with A and B.

maybe some gcc default setting difference about stack checking cause that.

BTW, what is the kernel version in LAB now?

YH