[LinuxBIOS] Vendor contacts - how to proceed

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Nov 21 16:30:56 CET 2007

Hi,

it seems we finally have achieved our goal of active vendor
participation, that is, we don't have to beg for data sheets anymore,
but vendors come to us with code and ask how they can help us.

That's really great!

Here's a preliminary non-exhaustive list of code areas and involved
vendors (additions/corrections welcome):

Processors:
- AMD contributes code

North-/Southbridges:
- AMD contributes code
- SiS contributes code

Super I/Os:
- Winbond has offered help

Flash chips:
- Macronix has offered help

The "fast feedback, fast commit" way of dealing with code contributions
has been very successful since we practice it, so I'd like to continue
that way.

That leaves us with the task to formalize (or at least establish
guidelines for) contacts with vendors who have offered help.
Suggestions:
* Single point of contact which will not bounce/reject mail and
guarantees speedy and/or confidential response.
* E-mail address should be @linuxbios.org and forward to a unmoderated,
spam-filtered, non-public list.
* Once somebody of us picks up the vendor contact, he will continue with
it or delegate explicitly.
* Do we want to give vendors a telephone number for further inquiries?
* Do we want to keep a list of the locations where we live/work (no
precise address, only area)?

Reasons why I raised the last two points: I have gotten inquiries from a
vendor who would like to meet us face-to-face or at least organize a
conference call to better understand our mission and how to help us.
That's great and I'd like to tell them: "Yes, we care, we can set up
something."

Regards,
Carl-Daniel