[LinuxBIOS] [ADMIN] Mail headers: random variations?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Nov 25 15:46:16 CET 2007

Man, you gotta have plenty of time ;-)

It's called VERP - Variable envelope return path

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_envelope_return_path

Every 1 of X mails is sent out with a variable header. That's a
compromise between mail server load / traffic and undeliverable mail
address detection.

No reason to worry. This is all on purpose ;-)

Stefan

* Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [071124 13:17]:
> Hi,
>
> (yes, I read mail headers.) I have noticed that mails I receive via the
> list can have two differing Return-Paths, depending on some random
> circumstances. Both of the following header lines have been seen for
> mails sent 3 seconds after each other, differing in amost nothing except
> the Return-Path:

> The Return-Path variation is independent of the original sender, I have
> seen it for autogenerated commit mails as well as mails for every single
> person I checked.
>
> Is anybody else seeing this?

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613