[LinuxBIOS] patch for geodelx in arch/x86

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Tue Nov 27 18:00:58 CET 2007

On 27/11/07 08:52 -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 8:51 AM, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:
> > On 27/11/07 08:28 -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> > > add one debug print, move all smbus_read_byte to spd_read_byte.
> >
> > Sorry, I didn't catch this before.  I think this might be a bad move -
> > smbus isn't just for reading spd anymore.  There are thermal sensors,
> > GPIO extenders and other things out there that we might need to get on
> > top of.  We've already seen this in v2 with OLPC - we needed SMBUS to
> > talk to the display.
>
> I'm not really removing smbus stuff at all. but the ram stuff should
> use spd_read_byte, so you can fake it out as I am doing on alix1c and
> as we have done on other platforms.

Okay, i just wanted to make sure that we don't make the mistake of assuming
that smbus is only good for SPD.

In yourcase, faking it out is the right move - and for those
systems that do have SPD, your spd_read_byte can just call into
smbus_read_byte, perhaps through some clever #defines or other such thing.

> So if you are doing stuff that is spd-related, you really should use
> spd_read_byte, since some systems don't even have an smbus.

Agreed.

> [note: IIRC, you're the guy who told me to use a fake spd function --
> you or Marc :-)]

Probably Marc.  He is the smart one.

--
Jordan Crouse