[LinuxBIOS] v3: convert stage2 to multi-segment LAR

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Tue Nov 27 19:12:55 CET 2007

On 27/11/07 18:51 +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> [071127 18:27]:
> > On Nov 27, 2007 9:22 AM, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> >
> > > With all this, if I unpack a LAR archive, and repack it again, will it
> > > still produce a working archive?
> > >

> > No, it won't. You lose the entry point info. We would have to unpack
> > LAR to ELF files. This is a limitation I had not thought of. Should I
> > have an option to unpack to elf? It would not be hard.
>
> Hm.. either that, or we should go and write a "MANIFEST" file,
> containing the extra meta data. Or a combination?

At some point, I predect we're going to end up needing a MANIFEST file,
we might as well do it now.  Then that covers us from all possible
directions.  Right now things work for ELF, but someday somebody will want
COFF, or CE binary format or something like that and it will through the
universe into flux.  If we have the manifest file, then we are covered
in all cases.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse