[LinuxBIOS] Complete and generic 32bit/64bit support

Myles Watson myles at pel.cs.byu.edu
Tue Nov 27 20:19:52 CET 2007

> > > I don't get this patch - do we still need
> > > packages/kernel/serengeti_cheetah-kernel-x86_64.mk?  kernel.inc does
> all
> > > the heavy lifting now.  Or not?
> >
> > My understanding is that packages/kernel/serengeti_cheetah-kernel-
> x86_64.mk
> > sets the kernel version, url, config file, etc.  kernel.inc builds the
> > kernel you specified in the .mk file.
>
> is there enough different about it that we need two files?  I was planning
> on setting the configuration information in the platform configuration:
>
> ifeq ($(CONFIG_TARGET_64BIT),y)
> KERNEL_VERSION=2.6.22.2

> KERNEL_MK=$(PACKAGE_DIR)/kernel/serengeti_cheetah-kernel-x86_64.mk

So do you want to remove this line if you only want one .mk file?  Do we
want to make a new variable CONFIG_TINY that downloads the tiny patches for
the KERNEL_VERSION we've selected?  Once we go that far is there any reason
to have board-specific .mk files for the kernel at all?  That would be nice
from my perspective (many of the boards can/do use the same kernel
versions), but it is a major change.

Myles