[LinuxBIOS] 440BX progress / superio w83977tf-aw

Idwer Vollering idwer_v at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:10:58 CEST 2007

> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 01:54:50 +0200
> From: uwe at hermann-uwe.de
> To: idwer_v at hotmail.com
> CC: linuxbios at linuxbios.org
> Subject: Re: FW: [LinuxBIOS]  440BX progress / superio w83977tf-aw
>
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:21:23PM +0000, Idwer Vollering wrote:
> > http://linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2006-November/017262.html
> >
> > It boots (v2 r2811), but serial outputs says 'Can not load ELF Image.' which is correct because i didn't yet manage to get filo appended as a payload from targets/asus/p2b/Config.lb.
> >
> > What options in Config.lb must be set to create enough space to include filo.elf (about 94 KB) using both normal and fallback sections; option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE = (some_substracted_size) * 1024 ?
>
> No changes needed in Config.lb, I suggest you simply make filo smaller
> for now. Disable all unneeded options (ReiserFS, CDROM support, XFS
> support, all debugging, etc). You only need very few of the options.
> My filo.elf is 54KB, which is small enough for pretty much all boards.
>

> > Also, superio (from r2811) won't recognize the onboard winbond w83977tf-aw.
>
> It is (partly) recognized, otherwise you wouldn't get any serial output.
>
> The Config.lb stuff below is only executed very late in the boot
> process, but the serial console init (which needs the Super I/O) happens
> earlier. As you have serial output, that code works ok.
>

> > chip northbridge/intel/i440bx
> >         device pci_domain 0 on
> >                 device pci 0.0 on end # host bridge
> >                 device pci 1.0 on end # pci bridge / agp device/bridge
> >                         chip southbridge/intel/i82371eb # southbridge
> >                                 device pci 4.0 on end # isa bridge
> >                                         chip superio/winbond/w83977tf # superio, winbond w83977tf-aw
> >                                                 device pci 4.1 on end # ide interface
> >                                                 device pci 4.2 on end # usb controller
> >                                                 device pci 4.3 on end # acpi bridge

according to src/mainboard/tyan/s1846/Config.lb, this should be it:

chip northbridge/intel/i440bx # northbridge
    device pci_domain 0 on
        device pci 0.0 on end # host bridge
        device pci 1.0 on end # agp bridge

        chip southbridge/intel/i82371eb # southbridge
            device pci 4.0 on # isa bridge
                chip superio/winbond/w83977tf # superio, winbond w83977tf-aw
                end
            end

            device pci 4.1 on end # ide interface
            device pci 4.2 on end # usb controller
            device pci 4.3 on end # acpi bridge
            register "ide0_enable" = "1"
            register "ide1_enable" = "1"
        end
    end

    chip cpu/intel/slot_2
    end
end

> This looks broken. The PCI devices should not be inside the Super I/O section.
> Instead the superio-related stuff should be there. Have a look at some
> other boards for examples. The output of 'lspnp -v' (from original BIOS,
> and with all hardware attached, e.g. PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse, etc)
> should give you some hints (please also post it here).

"lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available" (asus p2b bios v1012)

The kernel used is compiled with CONFIG_PNPBIOS=y

> I'll try to dig out my P2B tomorrow or so and see how far I get, and
> maybe post some patch to improve it a bit. Please note that the 440BX
> code is still not very generic, it'll probably not work for this board
> (only the Tyan S1846 is confirmed to work so far). Fixing this is on
> my (huge) TODO list.

Where can i change the (hardcoded i believe) ramspeed/timings ?