[LinuxBIOS] About VGA question in the EPIA-M motherboard

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue Oct 30 13:27:43 CET 2007

Dear GT,

thank you very much for your interest in LinuxBIOS.

* GTLin at via.com.tw <GTLin at via.com.tw> [071026 10:40]:
> In LinuxBIOSv2-2860/src/mainboard/via/epia-m/Options.lb
>
> default CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN=1
> default CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA=1

Can you try to leave these disabled? To get VGA console on the VIA
EPIA-M they are not required.

CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN enables use of the x86emu emulator to run the VGA
option rom inside an emulator. The emulator does not work well with the
VIA VGA option rom, so we are running the option rom in vm86 mode from
src/northbridge/via/vt8623/northbridge.c:vga_init()

The vm86 code is in src/mainboard/via/epia-m/vgabios.c

I will send you a working image offline.

> I have trace source code and can’t fix it.
>
> Can you help me to answer what it happen?

I can not reproduce this error yet. Let me know what you think about
above option.

> Thank for your kindness help.

You're welcome!

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613